Mr. Hervey is a lifelong Texan with extensive experience litigating complex commercial cases and matters involving catastrophic personal injuries. After obtaining his bachelor’s degree from the University of Texas at Austin and his law degree, with honors, from Southern Methodist University School of Law, Mr. Hervey spent nearly a decade honing his litigation skills at the global law firms of Vinson & Elkins, LLP and Hunton & Williams, LLP, where he gained substantial litigation and trial experience with cases involving products liability, labor and employment, premises liability, wrongful death, medical malpractice, deceptive trade practices, and breach of warranty claims. In 2008, Mr. Hervey departed big-firm life to pursue the expanded opportunities for client attentiveness and alternative fee arrangements that are available at smaller firms, including at Markland Hanley LLP, where his practiced focused on products liability and catastrophic personal injury and death cases, and, most recently, at Quilling, Selander, Lownds, Winslett & Moser, P.C. In 2020, Lillard Wise Szygenda , in need of an experienced lawyer to further its mission of providing elite representation in significant matters, asked Mr. Hervey to join the firm, and he welcomed the opportunity to reunite with some of his former colleagues. Mr. Hervey’s representative matters include:
- Served as lead lawyer representing a large multi-national aggregate manufacturer in a $12 million water contamination case. Matter successfully settled on terms very favorable to the client.
- Represented gas utility company in a $20 million dollar litigation matter following a flash fire that occurred after the ignition of migrating natural gas that had been accidentally released underground when a gas line was damaged by road construction. The case involved serious and permanent personal injuries to the plaintiffs who were burned by the flash fire.
- Represented large multi-national aggregate producer in $60 million dollar construction matter involving complex engineering design and construction management issues. Representing employers and commercial truck drivers in litigation following trucking accidents involving catastrophic injuries.
- Represented employers and commercial truck drivers in litigation following trucking accidents involving catastrophic injuries.
- Represented a national retailer in a personal injury claim in which the plaintiff alleged that he sustained a traumatic brain injury as a result of being struck on the head inside the retail store. The plaintiff initially sought millions of dollars in damages, but after discovery was conducted the case was resolved for far less than a million dollars on terms very favorable to the retailer.
- Represented a national retailer in multiple trials of premises liability claims pursued by plaintiffs alleging permanent disability and extensive loss of wages and lost earning capacity.
- Successfully negotiated the favorable settlement of a workplace negligence claim pursued by the family of a worker that suffered dismemberment and other injuries that ultimately resulted in his death. Case involved very difficult liability facts with very limited defensive positions.
Professional and Civic Affiliations
- Admitted in all Texas state and federal courts and the District of Colorado
- Member of the State Bar of Texas and Dallas Bar Association
Education and Honors
- J.D., Southern Methodist University School of Law, cum laude
- B.B.A., The University of Texas at Austin
- Recognized as “Texas Rising Star” by Texas Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters service published by Texas Monthly (2007)